Thursday, October 2, 2008


Well he did pretty well getting his tonsils out. We got to the hospital at 6am, the surgery was supposed to start at 7:15am but started around 15mintues late because the medicine they use to relax him has a 2day hold and the pharmacy didn't want to send it, the doc, anesthesiologist and nurses kept calling to get it, and it finally came. My husband went with Seamus while the put him under, I was already puking and didn't think I could handle it, hubby said he went under fast and easily.

We went down the the cafeteria to grab some food and drinks while he was in the OR and came back to wait. About 15mintues after we got back to the waiting room the doc called us back to a meeting room. He said Seamus did well and his tonsils and adenoids were quite large and that we'd see an improvement right away. The OR is on the 2nd floor and the Ped unit is on the 3rd so my husband and I went up the the Ped unit to wait for them to bring Seamus up, another 5 or so minutes later we see them pushing a crib down the hall. We had to almost run to catch up to it they were going quite fast! Seamus was sitting up in the crib, very drowsy and one of the nurses was holding his back up. The instant he saw us he started bawling, and I had to hold him for 15minutes before he stopped. His normal ped came and and looked at him and said "Yay!" when she found out that they took out his tonsils.

The ENT/Surgon said that if Seamus slept then we could probably have gone home Wednesday. The little booger wouldn't sleep. I was running off just 2-3 hours and feeling like crap and was hoping he'd sleep so I could too. Hubby had to leave to go home and shower and go to work at noon, so I was by myself, puky, tired and caring for a sore and fever ridden baby, so not fun. My mom showed up at almost 5pm and walked around with Seamus for a few minutes then rocked him and that booger went right to sleep for her! Argh I was mad. We put him in the crib and told the nurse we were going to get some dinner in the cafeteria, Seamus was the only person on the Ped unit at the time so the nurse said ok(she was so nice to us and him the whole time). We went and ate, well I had a shake and some baked lays cause nothing else seemed to sound good and not make my tummy churn, then went and looked at the gift shop where my mom got him a stuffed froggy. We were gone for about an hour, and when we got back my mom was going to leave and I was going to sleep, the nurse said that he hadn't moved the whole time. Well when we get in there, guess whos eyes are half open looking at us. Argh mad again! It was almost medicine time though and I'm sure he was starting to hurt, he got his medicine and layed down with me for a little and watched TV. I had such a nasty headache by this point I was loosing any patience I had left. My husband who also had hardly any sleep left work at 9pm(instead of 1am like normal) and came to the hospital. We put Seamus in his bed at 10:30 after he got his medicine and he was out in about 10mintues.

Sleep wasn't easy. I had to get to sleep to get rid of the headache I had, and my husband, :(, went to sleep on the floor instead of seeing if they had a bed for him. I couldn't sleep, just off and on, awake every few minutes. Seamus slept for about 3 or so hours. Once the pain meds start to ware off he starts crying and getting cranky. He got more meds at 4:30am and after fighting with him(puking in the mean time) for over an hour and a half, I put a blanket on the floor for him to play with a truck that he got from the nurses. It was quite hard for him though, he wanted to stand so back but his IV was in his foot right around where it bends so they had a board on his leg. That was another fight with him, for him not to stand. Finally around 7:45 the ENT showed up and said that we could go home. The nurse had me order Seamus some food first to see if he could eat(all he'd had before was Jello just after surgery, and a couple Popsicle, juice, water and ice chips. The food took forever. I was going to get him eggs and a banana but they said their shipment of banana's hadn't come yet, so I just said eggs, there wasn't anything else on the menu that was soft. It took a half hour for it to come... It came with applesauce which was nice, I didn't order that for him because it wasn't on the menu so they must have added it for him. He ate about half his eggs and all the applesauce and half the little thing of milk. We got to leave at 9am. His poor foot was bleeding so bad when she took the IV out :(

The nurse said she'd call in his pain meds to Walmart for us, but they had just given him some before we left, so we didn't go pick them up right away. Before we even left Coeur d'Alene we had to get gas...Its freggin $3.29 there! (bout $0.10 or more here, just 8miles away). We got home around 9:30-9:45ish, and went straight to bed, shockingly Seamus didnt' fight or anything, went right out. We slept till around 12:30 then hubby went to Walmart to get Seamus' pain meds....They just got the order in! Argh that ticked me off. They told hubby that it wouldn't be ready till at least 2pm. Hubby leaves for work at 2pm. So he had to go pick it up at his lunch break at 7pm. I let Seamus sleep till 2:30 I know he needed it. Its so odd, how quite he sleeps now! I had normal Tylenol and gave him that, couldn't get his temp because he fought the butt and under arm, he had been running in the 99's at the hospital and they said to make sure it didt' go to 101 or higher.

Seamus was a hungry boy! He ate a little thing of jello, and a few hours later ate 2 chicken nuggets(they're soft and I cut them up), 2 hot dogs cut up, and little bit of cheese. Getting him to drink on the other had has been hard, he didnt' want milk after we got home, didnt' want much juice, I got him to drink alittle water, and he stole some of my powerade. By 6;30pm the kid was in pain again, screaming so bad it made him puke :*(. As soon as hubby showed up we got his meds in, and he went to bed just after 8pm. Hopefully he'll sleep good tonight.

I have some pictures I'll have to post later camera is in the car


  1. Glad to hear the surgery went fine and that he is home. I hope he heals quickly!!!! {{{{huggles}}}} because that had to be hard on you also.

  2. I hope he heals quickly, they say its easier for the little ones. When I had mine out (at 19) the easiest thing for me to eat was no sugar added apple sauce, anything with sugar seemed to burn a little. Give him a hug for me and Landen.